PDA

View Full Version : Hello

lydanynom
03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Is this what it takes to make the annoying notice go away?

sydude
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Not really. You're supposed to participate a bit more than that, maybe tell us a bit about yourself and your involvement and/or interests in racing etc.

lydanynom
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, I know, but I was irritated at being held hostage to the big notice thingy and feeling snarky.

I really don't have much of value to you guys to contribute, I just wanted to be able to search and for that I had to register. I'm a long time race fan but have never managed to simultaneously come up with both the time and money to get involved myself.

I do, however, enjoy sim racing and have just started the Barber series in iRacing, which is what brought me here looking for more knowledge.

I also recently moved back to the Madison, WI area, so I'm only a couple hours from Road America and just a stone's throw from Blackhawk, but I still don't have any money. ;-)

dalyduo
03-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Welcome aboard. The only requirement for this site is a passion for racing. Deep pockets are nice but strictly optional.

Two thoughts... First. Can only imagine iRacing sharpening your skills and awareness for that magic moment when the financial gods smile upon you with enough scratch to step into a real race car possibly in a Skippy program. (It took me 25 years)

Secondarily... Would like to know what kind of setup you have for iRacing as I'm looking to take the plunge myself.
Thanks,
Pat.

Yes, I know, but I was irritated at being held hostage to the big notice thingy and feeling snarky.

I really don't have much of value to you guys to contribute, I just wanted to be able to search and for that I had to register. I'm a long time race fan but have never managed to simultaneously come up with both the time and money to get involved myself.

I do, however, enjoy sim racing and have just started the Barber series in iRacing, which is what brought me here looking for more knowledge.

I also recently moved back to the Madison, WI area, so I'm only a couple hours from Road America and just a stone's throw from Blackhawk, but I still don't have any money. ;-)

sydude
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome aboard.
Secondarily... Would like to know what kind of setup you have for iRacing as I'm looking to take the plunge myself.
Thanks,
Pat.
Same here.

lydanynom
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Wow, guess I have something to contribute after all. I would have figured you guys would be all over that around here.

I've had a variety of setups over time, but my current rig is a Fanatec GT3 wheel and Clubsport pedals in a Playseat cockpit.

The Fanatec stuff is, imo, vastly superior in performance to the Logitech G25/G27 alternative for about the same money but can possibly be somewhat more finicky and unreliable. Rather like some famous racecars one could name, I suppose. For me it has been well worth the tradeoff. The feel of the wheel and strength and character of the force is worlds apart from the G25 I had previously. Likewise the pedals; I would never go back to a potentiometer-based brake after coming to appreciate the feel of the load-cell.

The cockpit, well, meh. It is working well enough for the money, but the Obutto may be a better way to go for the same price ready-made, and if you are even remotely handy you'll probably be most satisfied building your own.

I'm running a single 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200, but I am looking forward to switching to a triple monitor setup as soon as the next generation of GPU's come out. That will be a big deal for you guys just getting into it, as even with a big single monitor the field of view is extremely narrow and there is no way to look into the turns. Save yourselves some headache and go triple-head right away. (And you'll *still* be freaking out at how little you can see.)

dalyduo
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Very useful feedback... Thanks!