PDA

View Full Version : Formula vs. MX-5

ECARR
11-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I took a 3 day (Mid Ohio) and then a 2 day (Road America) in the Formula cars, I had a blast. I would like to take another 2 day (Laguna Seca) and am wondering if I should take it in the MX-5. I race Vintage race cars, so my thought is that I could learn more in the MX-5, for the racing I am doing.

Any coments? I am sure either one would be a blast, just wondering how much would I get out of the MX-5 vs. the Formula?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Pace
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Both programs offer excellent seat time and instruction that fit individual needs. The question is which better fits YOUR needs. What do you drive in Vintage?

A three day in the Formula car helps learn how to shift properly a non-synchro box. VERY important if you own the car and are responsible for the engine and gearbox. This is an important feature of the School Car over the sequential box RT2000...aka FD2000. Also the more responsive feel of a formula car identifies exactly what you are doing in the car. The car shows your area of weakness (which many people don't really want to see).

The MX5 is heavier, less responsive, much more forgiving, and shifts like the street car it is (requiring very little in the way of training). Many drivers fiind the street car environment to be more comfortable and less intimidating the the opwnwheeler. Everyone is a hero in the MX5 becasue it demands so little from the driver. One advantage to the MX5 is the ability to have the instructor ride along with you. There can be a tremendous gain from this when taken advantage of.

So if your plans are to race a vintage car w/ non-synchro tranny you would benefit futher from the Formula car school , especially if you focused on better footwork for the school and treated the program like an advanced activity since you already have time in the car.

If your plans include a synchronized gearbox in a heavier, less responsive car then the MX5 program will be easier and less frustrating. Be sure and ask for some dual seat time! There are varying degrees of comfort instructing from the right seat but always there is someone willing to help. Again treat your experience as an advanced program since you have time already.

Eitherway seat time with good instruction is always valuable.
JP

John Greist
11-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Jim said it all.

ECARR
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
JP,
Thanks for your response! I actually took the Advanced 2 Day with you at Road America, I had a really good time!
The car is a 1963 Alfa Romeo with a synchro box, but they sometimes known for having issues with precisely the synchros if the shifts are not given the proper time. So, as you clearly mention the footwork always helps.
Given the fact that I have already done the formula cars in a 3 Day and 2 Day, I can give the MX-5 a chance and hopefully learn something with the dual seat time. This type of car is I think more similar to the Alfa.
I will do the 2 Day at Laguna Seca in the MX-5, based on the experience, I’ll be able to make a call for the 2 Day at The Glen.
Now, I need to go play the lottery to be able to pay for all of this.
Thanks again!!
Eliseo Carrillo

chsutherland
11-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Further affirmation JP is the man. Eliseo, don't be shy. Do tell about these Vintage rides. Its ok, we are all car nerds here.