PDA

View Full Version : FNG

Chuckleski212
11-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey Skippyforums,

My name is Charlie Powell, I am 25 years old and live in Vermont. First began with SB in my 3 day this summer at Limerock, continued with a track day before the Formula Series event (also Limerock) and have just finished my 2-day ADV at Laguna Seca this week. I am also enrolled in the IndyCar Academy.

I got into racing when I was about 8 years old, but on snow instead of tarmac. I raced alpine until I was 22, play rugby currently, and hoping to begin a different racing career with skip barber in April '13!

I was introduced to the website through my 3 day classes by Phil Lombardi.

Here in Vermont I live on one of my favorite mountain gaps, Appalachian Rt. 17. I drive a '06 Audi S4. I've only driven with Skip Barber on track, so I'm exclusive to the SBF2000.

My future plans for racing are to compete and win the IndyCar Academy.

I am a coach and race technician for the Green Mountain Valley School. We are a ski racing academy near Sugarbush.

ps- WE GOT SNOW LAST NIGHT!

oldredracer
11-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Let's see... you're in shape. You know all about high eyes. You have reflexes. You've trained with some good guys. Didn't somebody say that success is one part inspriation and 9 parts perspiration? Sounds like you're good to go.

Glubags
11-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I imagine racing on skis requires good balance, understanding of physics, and a feel for grip. Sounds familiar enough! Good luck in the ICA! Keep us posted on your progress.

alangbaker
11-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Always good to run into a fellow ex-skiracer, Charlie. You were looking good out there Did you get any video taken and hence know any lap times?

Who knows, maybe we'll get a chance to race each other some time.

Alan

dalyduo
11-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Welcome aboard Charlie,

Sounds like you're in a very good place to compete for the IndyCar Acadamy. Phil's a great instructor and coach. Keep us posted on your progress and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Travis Washay, longtime Skippy instructor also teaches not far from you at the O'Neil Rally School in Dalton New Hampshire. A group of us went up last winter and enjoyed learning the rally art of left foot braking with front and all wheel drive cars on snow and mud. Big fun.

Do keep us posted on your progress and good luck! :D

Chuckleski212
11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks all.

Alan- I took video of every session and "unofficially" clocked a low 1:44.2 during the second session on Tuesday. Thomas Merrill was following pretty close for the entire lap so the time is a bit inflated. Most of my laps where I wasn't slowed by traffic were in the 1:46-7 range. I'll feed some to youtube when i get home for Thanksgiving. Skiing at Vail right now on a WROD (white ribbon of death). Hope to run into you soon! Have you submitted your Novice permit application yet?

The O'Neil rally school sounds like a blast. Have to check it out....

alangbaker
11-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks all.

Alan- I took video of every session and "unofficially" clocked a low 1:44.2 during the second session on Tuesday. Thomas Merrill was following pretty close for the entire lap so the time is a bit inflated. Most of my laps where I wasn't slowed by traffic were in the 1:46-7 range. I'll feed some to youtube when i get home for Thanksgiving. Skiing at Vail right now on a WROD (white ribbon of death). Hope to run into you soon! Have you submitted your Novice permit application yet?

The O'Neil rally school sounds like a blast. Have to check it out....

Damn man: 144.2 is really good! I think the lowest I touched was about a 1:47 and most of my clean laps in the sessions I recorded were 1:48-49.

And I can't submit for my novice... ...because in their infinite wisdom, the SCCBC doesn't recognize the Skip Barber School as sufficient for my novice, because the flag system is just SLIGHTLY different. So I'll end up having to take the SCCBC's short course in the spring.

No time on the boards yet for me, but it's coming! If you get out this way during the winter, let me know.

GEORGE
11-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Chris

I know from what you come. My early racing started on skis too. couldn't wait to point them downhill and fly.
When I got my bicycle, that became my racing outlet. Even racing them until I was 25 years old. The crashes put an end to that though.
At 40 I attended my 3 day school at Skips.
They stuck the needle in my arm. Pushed in the Racing Drugs and I gladly shelled out my money!
I have only been doing this for 17 years and you have your whole adult life to spend freely in the pursuit of SPEED.

Good luck! Welcome to the club! And .................. I am Sorry to say you will have this Drug in your system for so much longer than I have, since you started so much younger! I am only sorry I didn't start then!

Enjoy the ride! Sometime I have to pinch myself as I drive the same tracks that my hero's drove...... And I do this at speed

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

George