PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

GEORGE
07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Yesterday I was visiting a car collection that a friend has and tucked into a corner was a Dodge Challenger. I knew my friends disdain for my product, and wondererd why it was in his garage.

He told me the car belonged to Brock Yates and this was the last car in his collection. It was prepared by Cotton Owens and was the Yates car in the 2nd "Sea to Shining Sea" Cannonball Run.
And it was Perfect! No rust and Ready to run again. I asked why Brock wanted to sell it and was told that Brock is in the late stages of Alzheimers disease. So Sad. A great automotive writer.

Just thought you guys might like to know.

George

dalyduo
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks George... Had heard he wasn't doing well so at least the car will be properly preserved by a caring collector. I remember it well and the story Brock wrote about the crossing. I believe they put a massive fuel cell in the trunk to reduce fuel stops and used catheter bags to reduce pit stops. :D It was the reality version of the "Vanishing Point" car without the bulldozer ending.

Brock is one of a kind and it's sad to know he's near the end of his journey.

GEORGE
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
My first thought, when I saw the car was "Vanishing Point" But the VP car was a hemi. This had a 340.... For Gas mileage.
The fuel capacity was 70 gallons. Took up the whole trunk....spare in place of back seat.

My mom has advanced AZ so I know how tough it is for Mrs. Yates. She has sold off all of his cars except this one.

dalyduo
07-20-2012, 11:18 AM
So sorry about your mom... Horribly cruel situation for all involved. Our thoughts are with you.

Only Brock would choose a 340 for gas mileage... If you really want mileage you'd go with a 318 or a six... But that wasn't Brock... Just get a bigger tank! :D

My first thought, when I saw the car was "Vanishing Point" But the VP car was a hemi. This had a 340.... For Gas mileage.
The fuel capacity was 70 gallons. Took up the whole trunk....spare in place of back seat.

My mom has advanced AZ so I know how tough it is for Mrs. Yates. She has sold off all of his cars except this one.

rsr427
08-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I grew up watching him and Steve Evans on "American Sports Cavalcade", so lo and behold I was shocked when I stumbled upon his books and columns.

I always keep in mind one of his lines [paraphrased] from Sunday Driver: "Its better to be a second-rate competitor than a world-class spectator..."